Friday, January 20, 2012

Do It Yourself Recycled Shelves :D

DIY shelves :)



Corner

Side view






I finally finished my DIY shelves :)


Here's how you can make your own:


1) Spray paint some old book shelves.
I actually used the side of an old bookcase to get a longer shelf, which meant that the board had holes in it from where the bookshelves could adjust in height.  I "fixed" these holes by hot gluing different color buttons on them.  It made the shelves a bit more fun for my daughter's room :).


2) Buy some ribbon OR use some old material you have lying around the house to make the supporters.
 I measured and cut out 8 stripes of material, 2" x 28".  I then paired the material up with the right sides facing inward (pretty material facing each other) and sewed down the length and ONLY the length, because you need to flip the material afterwards (like you would if you were making a pillow). 
After flipping the material right-side-out, I sewed the two ends together, making a continuous piece of material (like a circle :).  I will say that it's easier to buy ribbon, double it (makes the shelves stronger), and sew the ends together.


3) Now it's time to put your shelves up :).  You will need 8 nails (two for each piece of material)
Measure 9" above where you want your shelve to be placed, for this is where your supporters will be fixed to the wall.
 Take your material OR ribbon and place a nail right below your sewed seam and 1/4 in from the outside (you will do his to the other side too, so you will have TWO nails on each side of the material, 1/4 inch from the sides of the material.)  Hopefully the photo above will help a little bit.
Do this to all of your material.


4) After you have fixed your material to the wall, simply slip your boards through the material and straighten it so it makes a 90 degree angle to the wall. 


I LOVE THESE DIY SHELVES, AND I HOPE YOU DO TOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment